Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Coast

I am currently in mombasa, where we'll be for another couple of days. We spent last week (nine days in total) in a villae on the coast about an hur and a half south of Mombasa called Bodo doing our "rural homestay". Being on the coast is great, the water is beautiul and I swam in the Indian ocean! Bodo was great, but hot as blazes. It's an all Muslim village and to be respectful we had to wear ankle length skirts, over our shoulders and cover our heads. Luckily we stopped ion Mombasa on the way and bought kangas, even though most people's homestay mothers dressed them in her own clothes. my mom gave me some great outfits, one of which was a long yellow dress with swirls of mud-brown color. it was classy. actually i think it was my aunt's who was statying with us because my mom was SUPER pregnant and couldnt do the cooking and cleaning and stuff. she went to the hospital the last night i was there and i havent heard from the family yet, but i'm hoping that everythng is ok. After one month I'm starting to form the opinion that Kenyan women are actually the people that hold this country together. Basically it's the women who take care of the house, the kids, the cooking, the shopping, and the women are the only ones who can get things done semi-efficiently. The men take twelve years to do one thing because first they sit around for a while and then they talk to some people, etc. I know this is a gross generalization, and I'm not saying that Kenyan men are inherently inept or inadequate people. It's just startling how much more the women get done than the men. I just told my friend sitting next to me about my rant about Kenyan men, and she says it's true. So it's not just me haha.
I'm going to try and write a little more frequently because I'm going to have to start being on the internet more doing research for my independent study project at the end of the semester. I'm almost definitely going to do something about malaria, but I have a lot more research to do before I come up with a focused question.

1 comment: