Monday, February 9, 2009

Nairobi

So we have just moved into our homestays in Nairobi. I am staying with a family in an area of Nairobi called Ayany. I have a mom and a dad and a 23 year old Kenyan sister, Olivia. Yesterday Olivia took me around with her friend and we went to visit her brother on the total opposite side of the city. It was fun though! We have our first full day of classes today. We have had 2 lessons of Swahili so far, so my vocab is very limited. This afternoon we have our first lecture, I can't remember the name but it looked pretty interesting. Ummm the food is pretty good so far. The staple is ugali made from maize flour, and they usually eat it with fish or meat and some green-ish veggies. I haven't eaten meat yet, but I did have fish last night. We'll see what they make tonight!
There's no internet in our school building or anything, so we have to go to internet cafes which might make face-to-face skype-ing a little difficult. I'll look in to it. Bye!

1 comment:

  1. Amalia, your blog is great and your Dad just taught me my first Swahili word (Mzungu, of course). Have a great time and don't work TOO hard.

    Love,
    Aunt Susan

    ReplyDelete